Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Learning the Lord's Prayer

Today was one of those days with young children. They do not do anything that is bad in and of itself. It is just when they do it and how they do and what they were supposed to be doing instead of it. Today was definitely one of those days.

Needless to say, I was eager for some quiet after-the-kids-are-in-bed time. However, I was ever hopeful that our bedtime routine might yield some teachable moments and quality family time. I had decided earlier that the Lord's Prayer might provide a helpful guide for our devotional prayer times, so I chose to introduce it tonight. My kids generally respond well to an echoing format for learning Bible passages and other memorizable information, so I started saying the prayer phrase by phrase. They repeated back phrase by phrase. I made a mental note to emphasize "Hallowed" another night since this is "H" week in our journey through the alphabet. I opted for "debts" rather than "trespasses" for the sake of their young tongues. Then came the line, "But deliver us from evil." I don't know if it was the fact that she was just coming off trying to pronounce "temptation" or what, but Abby's tongue couldn't handle it all. Instead of deliverance from evil, we got "deliver us our weasel" and a whole lot of giggles after that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photo kind of freaked me out at 1st, but the story made me like the furry little guy :)

Laura Fenske said...

That makes me laugh

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Kris...that was too funny!!! I have really been enjoying reading your posts, and feeling like we are keeping in touch! I miss you so much...and our prayers are with you!!!